Local Loves – Blush and Whimsy Lipstick
I love to shop local, and I confess I like to indulge my impulse purchasing a little more often than I should. That’s why I love shopping local though – I get a great product, I’m supporting the community, and I know more about the locale and the quality of what I’m buying than I probably would otherwise. It balances out the guilt from over spending. 😉
My local love of the summer is from right here in Albuquerque. It’s been popping up all over my Instagram lately and I couldn’t resist trying it for myself!
Blush & Whimsy Lipstick
Blush & Whimsy, a startup company from Albuquerque, New Mexico, debuted their first product last year – a color changing lipstick that interacts with the pH and temperature of your lips to give you a perfect and natural tint.
As someone who avoids lipstick as much as possible because I have no idea how to apply it without looking like a clown, I wasn’t sure about this buy. But it’s got a real flower and gold flakes in it; how can you resist something that looks like it was plucked from a fairy tale?
The company currently has three offerings: Belle Blush, First Blush, and Bliss Blush. All three are clear and react the same way; the only difference is the color of the flower. I went with Belle (red flower) because I love all things Beauty and the Beast (from way, way back y’all, not just because of the live action movie).
- There’s no worrying about smudging, creeping color, or making sure the left side of your lipstick matches the right thanks to the clear application.
- The formula is smooth and light; it’s almost like you’re not wearing anything at all. (No windblown hair stuck in thick, sticky lipstick here.)
- The color is subtle. It made my lips a little brighter, gave a little more “pop” to my smile, but it’s not over powering. It emphasizes your natural beauty.
- No lipstick marks anywhere! I don’t know if it’s because the color stays on really well, or because it comes off clear, but I didn’t have to worry about lipstick on my teeth, or my tea mug (which always seems to smear somewhere else on my face…)
- My lips dry out easily, which is why I normally stick to tinted lip balms. I didn’t get much of a hydrating effect from this product. I would normally apply a lip balm under a dryer lipstick, but… Because of the pH and temperature interaction between this product and my lips, adding a balm (I use EOS) seemed to affect the quality of the tint I was getting. It was subtle (and impossible to photograph), but the color of the tint didn’t seem quite the same with the balm as it did without.
The love list definitely outweighs the wish list – I love my belle blush. The natural tint is really pretty and it didn’t clash with my accidentally hot-pink hair (another story for another day).
Blush & Whimsy products are paraben and cruelty free! As if I needed another reason to love the company, they also partner with Adelante Development, a non-profit that provides individualized support services to over 1,000 New Mexicans with mental, physical and developmental disabilities, for their packaging, fulfillment, and shipment.